The word technology comes from the Latin rooted in the word textere, which means to compile or build. Technology is a set to help our activities and can reduce the uncertainty caused by the causal relationships that surround the achievement of a goal.
While communication is the process of delivering and receiving messages between two or more people in physical distance with the five senses can be used and direct feed back is in it. This, communication technology is hardware equipment in an organizational structure that contains social values, which allows each individual to collect, process and exchange information with other individuals.
The characteristics of Communication Technology
• Communication technology is a tool
• Communication Technology is born by an economic, social and political structure
• Communication technology carries the values of the structure that gave birth to it
• Communication Technology works to improve the ability of the human senses.
technology has two aspects, namely hardware (consisting of material or physical objects) and software (consisting of information to operate hardware). Because of the visible nature of hardware, it sometimes influences our perception of communication technology (always has a perception on hardware aspects).
Communication technology can bring an individual across the boundaries of space and time and get information that was not previously obtained. Humans have made media technology as a window to the world and can know events that are far away without the need to be present directly at the scene
The Difference Of Communication Technology And Information Technology
Information technology is the processing and dissemination of data resulting from the collaboration of computers and telecommunications. Information technology focuses on how data is processed. While communication technology is the hardware equipment in an organizational structure that contains social values, which allows each individual to collect, process and exchange information with other individuals.
According to Rogers, the message carried by communication technology educates the wearer to:
• Conduct demasification: Demassified is a change from the mass use of communication technology to individual use. Demasification can also be interpreted as an era marked by increasingly active users / communicants / audiences / consumers / in the use of the media they use. The control company changes from producer to consumer. Consumers are free to choose the media according to the message they want
• Adjust oneself
• increase interaction
Communication Technology And Community Information
Changes in technology have put communication at the forefront of social revolution.
The emergence of communication technology is essentially driven by the need for movement or transfer of message material in order to overcome space and time. The rapid development of communication technology is an effort to meet the needs of the information society.
The information society is a society that:
• Make information as a valuable commodity economically
• Connect with other communities in the global communication system
• Access superhigway information.
The development of cyber communication technologies such as the internet for every nation in the world, can not be avoided from the brunt of the flow of information that is very swift. The flow of information, both positive and negative, is not able to be stopped and can be easily accessed by everyone.
Living things like humans always need information to maintain their survival, and to get that information humans need to communicate with other humans. The progress of communication technology in such a super-high speed, resulting in information is very abundant and seems to have no limits anymore.
Dissayanake (1983) defines the communication revolution as blasting communication technology as seen through the increasing use of satellites, computer micro-processors, and high-level radio services, as well as changes that occur as consequences forged by the social, economic, political, cultural, and lifestyle sectors human. While reminding that the development called the communication revolution is part of a series of changes that have taken place in the history of human life so far.
in the last 25 years there have been three forces namely technological, socio-economic, and political forces. These three forces change the structure of the international system to a certain degree, even a fairly realistic view must consider it, namely:
1. Fast-moving technological explorations in the field of communication where the revolution in the field of communication satellites and micro-processor techniques reflect the two most dramatic illustrations. The convergence of the six technologies, each of which developed somewhat separately namely: printing, broadcasting, point to point communication, computers, satellites and micro-processors became a technological revolution that has been characterized as a second industrial revolution.
2. On the other hand, the second set of forces has been shaped by the push for democratization of a worldwide revolutionary process that began with the introduction of the mass media.
3. While the media has served as a good channel for ideological conflict as a generator of world consensus, the crisis of the world dimension has also contributed to the growth of a new tribe of citizens and world organizations that cross national boundaries and loyalties.
Communication technology has links with social, economic, political and cultural issues. It could be that the use of communication technology is beneficial, for example increasing productivity, shortening time and distance. However, that does not mean it does not cause problems. In this connection, it is appropriate to reveal that there are two important types of social consequences of communication technology, namely:
(1) Change in Social Relations;
(2) Social Transformation.
In addition, there are also prominent cultural consequences of communication technology, namely:
(1) Change in the Value and Norms System;
(2) Submission of Most Self Authorities on Communication Technology.