Nose, forehead, chin … the black or white points slip into the corners of our face. What are they due to, and most importantly, how to eliminate them ? Dr. BonneBouffe conducted the survey with Dr. Agnes Olszewski, CEO of Herborium, an expert in natural medicine.
ALL ABOUT BLACKHEADS
WHY DO WE HAVE BLACKHEADS?
Acne is a secretion of sebum that is produced by sebaceous glands . The first consequence of this secretion is to cause oily skin when the sebum has reached the surface of the skin . This is the first warning of acne. You can stop this process if you do it quickly .
When sebum overproduction persists, the pores of the skin become blocked with dead cells and bacteria and this results in the appearance of ” comedones “ more commonly known as blackheads or whiteheads . This is the first part of acne and it needs to be treated, otherwise it can become chronic and lead to more severe stages of acne. For example with bigger buttons or cysts that will lead to brands or acne scars .
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BLACKHEADS AND WHITEHEADS
Our pores can be opened or closed. If the pore with the trapped waste is opened, the excess sebum is exposed to air and oxidized which will give a black dot .
Conversely, if the pore is closed, bacteria can attract the white blood cells of the immune system which can lead to an inflammatory reaction: this will give a white spot:
– If the inflammation is close to the surface of the skin, The button is often called a pustule .
– If the inflammation is deeper, this is considered an acne papule, more commonly called “acne pimple”.
– When the inflammation is deeper in the skin and spreads to the area adjacent to the outside of the pore, this is called cystic acne .
OTHER THINGS TO KNOW
The common feature of all forms of comedones and acne pimples is the overproduction of sebum by the sebaceous glands . Then there are the bacteria that cause inflammation. One way to understand the formation of acne pimples is to see the different steps:
– Oily skin is caused by excess sebum.
– Then there are comedones (blackheads and whiteheads) which result from the mixture between the excess of sebum, the cells and dead skin
– Finally, when the bacteria begin to grow, you enter the inflammatory phase of acne with pustules, papules and cysts
The next piece of the puzzle is to understand why the sebaceous glands produce more sebum? The answer is simple because it is the fluctuation of hormone levels, especially the androgens that will stimulate the sebaceous glands.
With these explanations, we can understand that it is necessary to treat and prevent the overactivity of these glands that cause the formation of acne pimples. Precautions should be taken with your treatment and the products you take everyday so as not to clog pores and not have extra pimples.
DO NOT PIERCE BLACKHEADS
DO NOT PUT ON MAKE-UP
Makeup adds sebum and can cause abrasions that allow bacteria to access the deep layers of the skin. What exactly is what you do not want
MAKE A BEAUTY MASK
In addition to treating and preventing your acne with the right treatment and proper cleansing method, you can make this mask, which will help to destroy the accumulated sebum in your pores . It can be used twice a week. Do not do this if you have open cysts.
– 1 egg white
– 2 tablespoons brown sugar (preferably organic)
– 2 tablespoons of good quality extra virgin olive oil (or olive nectar)
– 1 small peeled papaya or 2 large slices Thick peeled papaya
– ½ teaspoon baking soda
Mix all the ingredients in a blender at low speed until it becomes creamy. Massage on a clean face with your fingers in circular motion without too much pressure for about 30 seconds. Leave on for 20 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water.